Sunday, January 28, 2007

Use The Internet to Save on Cable & Movie Rentals

A few weeks ago, while looking for online video of NBC's "The Office", I stumbled upon two websites that have transformed my free time and may in the future transform my finances.

peekvid.com and Alluc.org both offer massive amounts of media content. Television programming makes up the majority of their content (both have every episode of 24) but their movie content is also great.

Unlike the days of Kazaa/Morpheus or the current Limewire, these two sites have nothing to download. Peekvid appears to host its own files while Alluc provides links to a variety of sites that host the content. Since Alluc isnt hosting any content, it is likely more viable long term (less risk of getting sued).

So far the only financial impact I've seen has come from thier movie content. The past three weekends I havnt rented a movie as I have used their content. I would typically rent 2 movies over a 3 week period. Savings: $10.

Based on their content one could potentially go without cable or at least reduce it to basic. Savings-$25/month + until these sites get shut down.